A shrub — believed to be derived from the Arabic word “sharāb,” which means “to drink” — is actually a very old drink that people have been imbibing in tonics and cordials for hundreds of years in parts of Asia and Europe for its medicinal properties and ability to promote gut health. They were used in colonial America when fruits were preserved in vinegar for storage. You can now get your hands on Shrubs from Manning Canning at Summerhill Market.
The manning canning shrub is:
– low in sugar, has zero caffeine or alcohol
– offers all the health benefits of apple cider vinegar AND cold pressed juice, all in one flavourful shot
– tastes great as a shot on its own or added by the ounce to water or your Sodastream
– is inexpensive compared to other health tonics
– yet has an extended shelf life compared to kombucha or cold pressed juice
– adds an essential sweet/sour balance to cocktails
– makes a refreshing and sophisticated non-alcoholic option when entertaining
Today, people are moving away from soda, looking for healthy drinks that are not loaded with sugar or caffeine or alcohol. Read below for some of the best cocktails and mock-tails to enjoy your shrub.
Ontario Pear & Ginger Shrub
- 3 oz Sparking Water
- 1 oz Ontario Pear & Ginger Shrub
- Garnish with Candied Ginger
Ginger & Stormy
- 1 oz Ontario Ginger & Pear Shrub
- 2 oz Spiced Rum
- 3 1/2 oz Ginger Beer
Rim your glass with sugar, combine all ingredients over ice and let sit and then strain ice out and pour into glass and enjoy!
Ontario Rhubarb & Vanilla Shrub
- 1 1/2 oz Dillon’sGin
- 1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 oz Ontario Rhubarb &Vanilla Shrub
- Soda water
- Garnish with lemon slice
Combine gin, lemon juice and shrub to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Combine ingredients and shake until chilled. Strain over tall glass of your choice. Add soda water and garnish. Serve.
- 1 1/2 oz Ontario Rhubarb &Vanilla Shrub
- Champagne of your choice
Pour shrub into a champagne flute and top with champagne. Serve.
Cucumber & Lime Shrub
Cucumber Rosemary Gimlet (courtesy of The Ace Restaurant, Toronto)
- 1oz cuc/lime shrub
- 2oz Tanqueray Gin
- 12 fresh Rosemary leaves
Muddle rosemary with shrub, double strain. Add gin and shake w/ice. Serve straight up in chilled glass
garnished w/cucumber ribbon and sprig of rosemary.
Cinco de Mayo Beer Cocktail (courtesy of Eastbound Brewing Co., Toronto)
- 1/2 oz cucumber lime shrub
- 3/4 oz triple sec
- 1 oz tequila
- 1 oz lime juice
- 5 oz Hidden Lake Hefeweizen beer
Shake first four ingredients over ice. Pour into glass filled with fresh ice & top with Hefeweizen. Garnish with lime or cucumber slice.
Manning Canning Shrubs are available in the grocery aisle where fermented foods are sold.