This pavlova serves a crowd! For your next summer get together or potluck volunteer to make dessert. You can use any kind of fruit that is in season – fresh berries are my favorite!
Serves: 10-12 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 1 ½ hours + cooling time
6 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1 ½ cups granulated sugar, plus 2 tbsp
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups 35% whipping cream
4 cups mixed fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries, etc)
- Preheat the oven to 200F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the egg whites and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment (or a hand mixer) whisk on high speed until egg whites are just stiff. With the mixer running on high, add 1 ½ cups sugar, adding 1 tbsp at a time. Continue to whisk until whites are stiff and glossy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Fold in the vanilla extract using a spatula. Dollop meringue onto prepared baking sheet. Using your spatula, evenly spread meringue into a large rectangle shape.
- Place the meringue on the middle shelf in the oven and bake for 1 ½ hours. Turn off the oven and let the pavlova cool completely, at least 1 hour, or leave overnight.
- When the meringue is cool, whip the cream and 2 tbsp sugar until it holds soft peaks. Mix in the vanilla. When ready to serve, dollop cream evenly on top of pavlova. Top with fresh berries.